Session 1 of Rune-X

Alright, for some reason despite being pumped about gaming I’ve not had much energy to blog. To keep some content going up I’m posting this chatlog from the first session of Rune-X: My online IRC game. We’ve not really gotten into the reality TV aspects of the setting yet, I’m hoping to start bringing that in next session.

Edit: I’ve cleaned up the log a fair bit, remove a lot of join/leave messages, chatter and whatnot as well as some logging bugs from the fact I was connected to the channel multiple times (They why my nick changes so much). Hopefully this will make it a bit easier to read.

### Log session started at Sat Jun 4 09:54:15 2011 ###
[...]
[16:53:26] <Eowyn> What should my 1 handed close combat weapon be? Not sure what a modern soldier would carry, I think we’ve moved beyond bayonets
[16:54:24] <~Canageek-DM> Yes, but at the same time the game has heavy fantasy elements, and WWI bits and peices are still around as the military wouldn’t acknowledge them as anacronisms
[17:03:09] <Eowyn> So I’ll make it a bayonet
[17:04:04] <~Canageek-DM> If you want, sure
[17:04:18] <~Canageek-DM> I imagined you guys using a lot of medevial weapons due to the televised nature
[17:04:38] <~Canageek-DM> That and very few magic guns exist- They are too knew and expensive
[17:12:46] <Eowyn> Okay, a shortsword
[17:12:56] <~Canageek-DM> Your choice
[17:13:22] <Eowyn> I was just figuring I’d use what I’d trained on in the army
[17:13:35] <~Canageek-DM> If you want, sure
[17:13:50] <~Canageek-DM> But if you were an officer at the start of the war you would have been trained in a saber or shortsword
[17:13:57] <Eowyn> You be the producer. Do you try to talk me into using something medieval?
[17:14:35] <~Canageek-DM> Hmmmm, yes, I think I do
[17:14:49] <~Canageek-DM> Do you want me to roleplay it?
[17:15:17] <Eowyn> Whichever you’d rather. I’m just a passenger in the van for the next hour
[17:15:27] <~Canageek-DM> *nodnod*
[17:15:31] <~Canageek-DM> Let me think for a bit
[17:16:52] <~Canageek-DM> Take what you think is best for the character actually, it is the first season so everything is still in flux
[17:19:20] <Eowyn> Well, I basically want to play myself as I’m not a good actor, so I plan on being the combat medic of the team.
[17:19:37] <~Canageek-DM> Right, so when you find magic weapons you’ll have to learn then
[17:20:01] <Eowyn> I’ll use the close combat weapon to defend myself when I’m not patching up my buddies.
[17:20:23] <~Canageek-DM> Yeah, it might not matter- I remeber by 12th level cleric using a non-magic scimitar
[17:20:24] <Eowyn> So to start with I’ll just keep my bayonet on my rifle since I’m familiar with it
[17:20:59] <~Canageek-DM> Works for me
[17:21:06] <Eowyn> And as I get better at battle magic I want to learn how to make healing potions and magic power stores. I just want to optimize my healing powers.
[17:21:16] <~Canageek-DM> Ok, can do
[17:22:18] <Eowyn> Do you have any of those magic power stores I could borrow for the first few episodes? Or potions for the team?
[17:22:45] <~Canageek-DM> No to start with, I want to see how you do with the rules as written
[17:22:56] <Eowyn> Very well.
[17:23:41] <~Canageek-DM> If you have a lot of trouble I’ll add it as treasure or for sale in the nearby town
[17:25:25] <Eowyn> Good. Doing this as a reality show is rather comforting, as I know having our whole team die would end the show.
[17:25:32] <Eowyn> Unless….
[17:25:37] <~Canageek-DM> No, they you play the next team ^^
[17:25:59] <~Canageek-DM> The motto of X-Crawl was “If you die…YOU DIE!”
[17:26:02] <Eowyn> What are your plans if you have to cancel the show?
[17:26:15] <~Canageek-DM> What do you mean? If the team dies?
[17:26:32] <Eowyn> No if the ratings are abysmal
[17:26:45] <~Canageek-DM> :D I am the DM, so I get to pick the ratings
[17:26:58] <Eowyn> I was still roleplaying
[17:27:01] <~Canageek-DM> But if they were I’d set a game in a new genre
[17:27:03] <~Canageek-DM> Ohhhh
[17:27:04] <~Canageek-DM> >.>
[17:27:17] <Eowyn> :D
[17:27:59] <~Canageek-DM> Oh, then I’d probably fire you all and start over
[17:28:03] <~Canageek-DM> Tweak the concept a bit
[17:28:13] <Eowyn> Oh good, no total party kill
[17:28:15] <~Canageek-DM> however based on the early numbers I’d say there is no danger of that
[17:28:33] <Eowyn> Good, I have a hard time in civilian life.
[17:29:06] <~Canageek-DM> Most of our contesents seem to, I’m glad to provide you with profitable outlets
[17:29:12] <Eowyn> I haven’t met the rest of the team, what can you tell me about them?
[17:29:57] <~Canageek-DM> That is still being determined by our human resources department, but ideally we wold like a more aggressive spell caster and one or more frontline ifghters
[17:30:20] <~Canageek-DM> We have one of each so far ,though there is a contract issue with one so she may not be involed for a period of time
[17:31:10] <Eowyn> But then she hopes to join up when that’s resolved?
[17:31:13] fudgebob [~fudgebob@27B34E.4FEA8A.0EDFA7.34CDF3] has joined #Rune-X
[17:31:17] <Eowyn> Hi
[17:31:21] <fudgebob> hi
[17:31:33] <fudgebob> sorry for being late
[17:32:01] <Eowyn> Fine by me, Canageek was just roleplaying the producer with me
[17:32:24] <~Canageek-DM> Eowyn, can you summarize so that I can make sure everything is clear with you?
[17:34:16] <Eowyn> When I’m able to learn more battle magic you’ll help with my training. If we have a lot of trouble you’ll make some healing potions available.
[17:34:54] <Eowyn> But if we die, we die. (However, I believe I’m a very competent medic. Just hope I don’t get taken down.)
[17:35:45] <Eowyn> And the rest was mostly me selecting my close combat weapon, and I decided to keep using the bayonet I had in the army.
[17:35:57] <Eowyn> Did I miss anything important?
[17:36:49] <~Canageek-DM> Not that I can see
[17:37:12] <~Canageek-DM> (Fudgebob, what is your characters name and is it finished? We can drop out of character do to that)
[17:37:48] <fudgebob> ((I send the pdf already
[17:38:36] <~Canageek-DM> (Oh, you did, right)
[17:39:49] <~Canageek-DM> (Corwen?)
[17:41:29] fudgebob is looking for his copy
[17:46:00] <fudgebob> … and still looking.
[17:46:07] <~Canageek-DM> Forwarding it to you
[17:48:32] <~Canageek-DM> Sent
[...]
[17:51:28] <fudgebob> Eowyn: who is your character? :)
[17:52:03] <Eowyn> I’m Eowyn, a skilled combat medic
[17:52:20] <Eowyn> Ada is my RL name
[17:52:34] <fudgebob> ah :D
[17:52:59] <Eowyn> For combat magic I chose heal 6 so I can reattach severed limbs
[17:53:28] <Eowyn> And my character sheet so far is a lot of comments on the latest post on Canageek’s blog.
[17:54:35] <fudgebob> nice!
[17:54:51] <~Canageek-DM> Canageek-DM is Matthew, and also giving up setting up a Shoutcase stream of music for the gaming session as Ada woudln’t be able to listen anyway
[...]
[18:13:46] <~Canageek-DM> So do you have any questions while we wait or shall I just plan out the town by the dungeon?
[18:34:50] <~Canageek-DM> [14:58:41] <fudgebob> no, I sent the link via igor: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/128029/games/fudgebob%27s%20OQ%20charsheet.pdf
[18:36:30] Corwen [~fudgebob@27B34E.4FEA8A.0EDFA7.500996] is now known as Roberto
[18:37:01] Roberto takes the nearest available seat
[18:38:42] Eowyn sits near Roberto but not adjecent, in an aisle seat.
[...]
[18:40:44] <Roberto> “Why did you take this ‘job’, Eowyn? For fame, money, or both?”
[18:40:50] Canageek-DM [~Canageek@OWIRCN-ebfed2a1.vc.shawcable.net] is now known as MC-Lemberg
[18:41:14] <~MC-Lemberg> d20
[18:41:15] Golem rolls the dice for MC-Lemberg (d20) and rolled 13.
[18:41:32] <Eowyn> “Mostly money. As I said, I can’t hold down a civilian job. And I’d rather not be a merc.”
[18:42:12] <Eowyn> “What about you, Roberto? And do you have a nickname, Rob, Bob?”
[18:42:49] <Roberto> “Right. I’m also gunning for that – money does change everything. Call me Eel”
[18:44:19] <Roberto> “If we’re teaming-up, we need more muscle… I can shoot but close-quarters-combat is not my thing”
[18:44:54] <~MC-Lemberg> “Alrighty you two, listen up. Here is how things are going to work: We land at a small airfeild somewhere in the boarderlands in about 4 hours. From there you will be dropped off  by Jeep just outside a small town known as Pechersky”
[18:45:26] <Eowyn> “The producer briefed me, I’ll fill you in when we’ve got time.”
[18:45:46] <Roberto> “Then what, Mr. MC? … Uh ok, Eowyn”
[18:46:26] <~MC-Lemberg> “You’ve been given a map leading from town to the complex you are to raid. The local nation was a backwards Swords & Sorcery level kingdom untli the armies rolled over it, so they’ve seen guns and whatnot, but try not to spook the populace much”
[18:47:16] <~MC-Lemberg> “The owners of the complex oppsed said rolling over of the complex and have not been seen in a number of years, so it is highly likely they have died in battle, leaving it open for our use”
[18:49:10] Roberto readies his equipment
[18:49:28] <MC-Lemberg> “You choose when you are finished exploring on a per-person basis, and you will be credited for how deeply into the complex you explore, monsters killed, style, teamwork and other factors”
[18:51:07] <MC-Lemberg> “I also shouldn’t tell you this, but as you are new: We’ve not told the locals what you are doing, and our scrying spells and automata are subtle- if you get them angry by killing them, offending any religous or political belifes or sleeping with somebodies daughter you are on your own- take care when revealingwhat you are up to”
[18:51:50] <DM-OOC> Advantage of two connections: One dies and I can keep going
[18:52:03] <MC-Lemberg> “Are there any questions?
[18:52:42] <Roberto> “Aside from our stuff, are you giving us extra equipment?”
[18:53:29] <MC-Lemberg> “No, though if you have anything you wish to purchase with your remaning budget please let us know and we can have it waiting with the jeeps when we land”
[18:54:38] <Roberto> “Noted, MC.”
[18:55:30] Eowyn hands Lemberg a list.
[18:55:31] <MC-Lemberg> (let me know when you are ready to land: If you want to make any last minute purchaes, either dungeon gear or modern let me know: Keep in mind you are about to be tracped in a medevial economy so if you want to buy a roll o fduct tape you need to do it now )
[18:55:42] <DM-OOC> What is on the list?
[18:56:26] <Eowyn> (I will be providing the list after my sister is done checking email etc. on my laptop. I can list things like duct tape etc after kids are tucked in)
[18:56:39] <DM-OOC> Works for me
[18:58:38] <DM-OOC> The plane lands at a decrepit war-era airport, bouncing to stop on a runway, just before a nastly looking pothole
[18:58:49] <MC-Lemberg> The plane lands at a decrepit war-era airport, bouncing to stop on a runway, just before a giant pothole
[18:5[19:00:32] <Roberto> ( ok
[19:00:42] <Roberto> ( glock and body armor
[19:01:15] <Roberto> ( turns out to be “double-leather armor” ;)
[19:02:22] <DM-OOC> Works for me
[19:02:51] DM-OOC sketches the town you are going to in his mind
[19:04:33] <DM-OOC> Did you see the bit bout landing?
[19:04:53] <Eowyn> With a pothole? Yes
[19:04:57] <MC-Lemberg> “Oh, and before we land I’ll also need you to fill out these life-insurance and surviors benifits forms”
[19:05:10] Eowyn scribbles.
[19:05:33] Roberto looks up “I knew it.” *sighs and signs
[19:05:35] Eowyn lists Doctors without Borders as beneficiary.
[19:05:42] <DM-OOC> It turns out that for an evil corperations paying you to die for the publics enterainment they have really good benifits, though you do note they keep about half the the life insurance policy, though it is still far better then you could afford on your own
[19:06:33] <Roberto> “Mine is Socialists Anonymous”
[19:06:52] Eowyn says to Eel, “HR is looking for more members for our
[19:07:08] <MC-Lemberg> “Well, I guess neither of you will be using the descentents education fund…”
[19:07:22] <Eowyn>  “Team, but one of them has some problems with her contract so hopefully she’ll join us later.”
[19:07:29] <DM-OOC> You then board the jeeps, and bounce over broken roads and around obvious battlefeilds and trenches
[19:07:53] <Roberto> *nods
[19:08:07] <MC-Lemberg> “The trip would be a lot faster, but most of the passes are so heavily mind that no one is going through them for the next hundred years. Helps keep the shooting location isolated and backwards though”
[19:08:22] <Eowyn> “Indeed.”
[19:09:03] <TheDM> You then turn around a mountain overlooking a great and fertile looking vally
[19:10:07] <TheDM> At the far end lies a small village, and through a pair of provided binoculars you see a small village of perhappes 300-500 people spread over the vally, with a small cluster of buildings forming the town proper being your destination
[19:10:34] Roberto [~fudgebob@27B34E.4FEA8A.0EDFA7.500996] is now known as Eel
[19:10:41] <MC-Lemberg> “The complex you want is at this end of the vally, about 4 hours hike from the town into the mountains”
[19:11:08] <MC-Lemberg> “The path is pretty hard to follow without a map, which we’ve obtained for you”
[19:11:23] <Eowyn> “That was my next question.”
[19:11:29] MC-Lemberg hands you each a detailed arial reconnosince map
[19:11:51] <Eel> *grunts
[19:12:16] Eowyn scans the map, then stows it in a thigh pocket.
[19:12:24] <MC-Lemberg> Any other questions before the jeep heads off?
[19:13:10] <Eowyn> Oh! How to contact you when we’re ready to leave.
[19:13:11] <Eel> “None for now… lets go, Eowyn”
[19:13:24] <MC-Lemberg> “Ah, right”
[19:13:44] MC-Lemberg hands you each a small sattelite phone the size of a housing brick
[19:14:47] <Eel> “Thanks. What’s it for?”
[19:14:51] Eowyn familiarizes herself with the controls and asks any questions about how to operate it before stowing it.”
[19:16:32] <TheDM> So are you headed to the town, or the dungeon or other?
[19:17:43] Eowyn looks at Eel.
[19:17:54] <Eel> “I say we bypass the town (can’t stand crowds, esp. strange, new ones). Dungeon, Eowyn?”
[19:19:03] <Eowyn> “Sure.”
[19:20:03] TheDM was not expecting that, grabs the next section of his notes
[19:20:22] <Eel> (( ack. np if we go to town, TheDM
[19:20:39] <TheDM> OOC: not a problem at all, just wasn’t expecting it
[19:20:49] <TheDM> OOC: Just means I skip ahead a bit
[19:21:00] <Eel> (( ok. gulps
[19:23:44] Eel takes point and Eowyn covers the rear… the only possible combination for a two-man team *shakes head
[19:24:22] <TheDM> The complex you arrive at is hewn from a great rock outcropping at the crest of a large wooded hill. Winds buffet the hill continuously, blowing and whistling through the trees, vines and other vegetation which blanket the prominence on all sides. The rock itself is a heavy blackish slate.
[19:25:30] <Eel> “Do you see anything, Eowyn? An entrance or guards?”
[19:25:36] <Eel> *whispering
[19:26:03] <Eowyn> (Dice rolling syntax?)
[19:26:25] <TheDM> d20
[19:26:26] Golem rolls the dice for TheDM (d20) and rolled 5.
[19:26:37] <TheDM> OOC: Actually you don’t need to roll
[19:26:44] <TheDM> A cave-like opening, somewhat obscured by vegetation, is noticeable at the end of a treacherous pathway which leads up to the craggy outcropping of black rock.
[19:26:52] <Eowyn> “There!”
[19:26:56] Eowyn points.
[19:27:24] <Eel> *nods “Let’s move… carefully”
[19:27:49] TheDM waits for what you do
[19:28:59] <Eel> (( I approach the cave mouth, crouched and ready for bear
[19:29:48] <TheDM> The opening is covered in vines and branches
[19:31:01] <Eel> (( how dense?
[19:31:27] <TheDM> Lightly covered, roll K:nature
[19:32:03] <Eowyn> I have my rifle out, scanning between the cave and my rear.
[19:32:18] <Eel> d100
[19:32:19] Golem rolls the dice for Eel (d100) and rolled 83.
[19:34:28] <TheDM> Eel: Is that under your skill? I’m guessing no
[19:34:55] <TheDM> You know nothing about the plants in the opening
[19:34:56] <Eowyn> If you ask me I can roll. Eowyn didn’t think to wonder.
[19:35:53] <Eel> “Ack, I can’t identify the foliage. How about you, Eowyn?”
[19:36:13] <Eowyn> D100
[19:36:14] Golem rolls the dice for Eowyn (D100) and rolled 79.
[19:36:18] <Eowyn> Dunno
[19:37:38] <TheDM> Well, you can easily brush aside the foiliage if you wish to doso
[19:38:01] <Eel> *shrugs, goes in, brushing aside the vines with his rifle
[19:38:41] Eowyn follows.
[19:39:08] <TheDM> By sweeping aside some of the vines and branches, the opening becomes easily accessible to human-size explorers.
[19:39:27] <TheDM> The opening leads straight into the rock formation, with a 10′ wide corridor leading the way to a large wooden door.
[19:39:45] <Eel> *still crouched, Eel exchanges his rifle with his handgun
[19:40:23] <Eel> *Looks for a door knob or something
[19:40:41] <TheDM> There is a large metal handle
[19:41:03] <Eel> d100 checking for traps
[19:41:13] <TheDM> Eel: You are examaning the door?
[19:41:15] <TheDM> d100
[19:41:15] Golem rolls the dice for TheDM (d100) and rolled 10.
[19:41:20] <TheDM> Nice,
[19:41:52] <Eel> “I see something”
[19:42:05] Eowyn slings her rifle over her back.
[19:42:30] <Eowyn> And I have my dagger handy on my belt, but not out.
[19:42:52] <TheDM> Bits of wood have been chipped away from the edge, indicating that it has previously been forced
[19:42:59] <TheDM> OOC: Sorry, thought I’d sent that already
[19:44:13] Eowyn reaches into her left thigh pocket and removes a brown rat, which she places on her shoulder.
[19:44:35] MC-Lemberg [~Canageek@OWIRCN-ebfed2a1.vc.shawcable.net] is now known as Rat
[19:44:38] Rat chitters
[19:44:41] Eel , seeing no dead bodies, opens the door with his shotgun’s tip
[19:44:52] <Eel> “Whoa! What’s that thing?!”
[19:45:01] <TheDM> The
[19:45:02] <TheDM> door opens freely
[19:45:12] Rat [~Canageek@OWIRCN-ebfed2a1.vc.shawcable.net] is now known as TheDM-OOC
[19:45:13] <Eel> *still whispering
[19:45:32] <TheDM-OOC> I forgot, how are we going to handle mapping? This is an old school adventure, the first one TSR put out
[19:45:40] <Eowyn> “My pet rat.”
[19:45:44] <TheDM-OOC> So they spend a lto of time talking about mapping
[19:45:53] <Eowyn> Old school means we should map it.
[19:46:00] Eel turns on his flashlight, in his offhand
[19:46:14] <Eowyn> I have graph paper so I could do so tonight, although no pencil.
[19:46:34] <Eowyn> But then to share it my best technology is to take a photo with my phone.
[19:47:32] <Eowyn> Fudgebob, shall I map then?
[19:48:10] <Eel> “Yes, Eowyn, please map our route… I don’t want to get lost in here”
[19:48:40] TheDM signs, glad I don’t have to mess around with maptools
[19:49:36] Canageek will give the measurements in feet so as not to be a dick
[19:50:07] <Eowyn> “My rat’s name is Patsyuk.”
[19:50:18] <Eowyn> As Wil Wheaton says.
[19:50:32] <Eel> “Past Yuck-y?”
[19:50:59] <TheDM> From the opening to the door it is 60 feet straight north
[19:51:03] Eowyn unslings her pack and retrieves notepad and pencil. Also a rat treat, which she feeds to Patsyuk.
[19:51:14] <Eowyn> “Ratty, basically.”
[19:52:20] Eel shines the flashlight down the hall
[19:52:52] Eowyn scribbles.
[19:53:10] <Eowyn> How wide is the hall, 10’?
[19:53:20] <TheDM> Wait, 10′ in width is how wide?
[19:53:24] <TheDM> 10 feet or yards?
[19:53:38] <Eowyn> Ten feet
[19:53:40] <Eel> (( feet for dungeons methinks
[19:53:49] <Eowyn> (3 meters, plus a bit)
[19:55:03] bynw [~fenix@OWIRCN-cd9b0e44.client.mchsi.com] has joined #Rune-X
[19:55:17] <Eowyn> 10″ is inches and I don’t think there’s a corresponding symbol for yards. Hi bynw
[19:55:38] <TheDM> The passage continues 120′ before reaching another door, with 3 sets of alcoves 20′, 70′, 110′ down the corridor from the door
[19:55:50] <TheDM> that is [19:45:32] <TheDM-OOC> I forgot, how are we going to handle mapping? This is an old school adventure, the first one TSR put out
[19:45:40] <Eowyn> “My pet rat.”
[19:45:44] <TheDM-OOC> So they spend a lto of time talking about mapping
[19:45:53] <Eowyn> Old school means we should map it.
[19:46:00] Eel turns on his flashlight, in his offhand
[19:46:14] <Eowyn> I have graph paper so I could do so tonight, although no pencil.
[19:46:34] <Eowyn> But then to share it my best technology is to take a photo with my phone.
[19:46:51] TheDM-OOC [~Canageek@OWIRCN-ebfed2a1.vc.shawcable.net] is now known as Canageek
[19:46:59] ChanServ [ChanServ@chanserv.otherworlders.org] has set mode +qo Canageek Canageek
[1[19:59:55] <Eowyn> So when you say twenty feet down, is there 20′ of wall till the *start* of the alcove?
[20:00:24] <TheDM> http://www.flickr.com/photos/ada_kerman/
[20:00:30] Eowyn glances at the first pair of alcoves
[20:00:47] <TheDM> The alcove starts 10′ from the door and ends 20′ from it
[20:01:06] <Eel> (( how dark is the dungeon? what are the walls made of?
[20:01:31] <TheDM> Pitch black, you will need lights
[20:01:41] <TheDM> The hallway is carved from the same black shale
[20:01:57] <Eel> (( damp or dry?
[20:02:05] <~Canageek> Dry
[20:02:27] TheDM isn’t going into why there would not be shale in this type of vally and will just use the adventure as written
[20:03:16] Eel continously pans the flashlight while guarding over Eowyn, who is mapping the area
[20:04:18] <Eowyn> First map is emailed to Flickr.
[20:04:39] Eowyn nods at Eel in thanks and tucks her pencil behind her ear.
[20:05:16] <~Canageek> http://www.flickr.com/photos/ada_kerman/5798778740/in/photostream
[20:06:12] <Eowyn> (I’m your maptools ;))
[20:06:16] <~The_DM> Looks good to me
[20:06:31] <~The_DM> Give me a tactics roll
[20:06:45] <Eel> (( nice!
[20:07:33] <Eel> d100
[20:07:33] Golem rolls the dice for Eel (d100) and rolled 73.
[20:08:05] <Eel> (( meh
[20:08:17] <Eowyn> D100
[20:08:17] Golem rolls the dice for Eowyn (D100) and rolled 39.
[20:08:56] <Eel> (( tactics would be perception? or what?
[20:09:08] <~The_DM> Knowledge?
[20:09:22] <Eowyn> What sort?
[20:09:28] <~The_DM> Preception -10 (I’m not using the only 25/50/75 guidelines as I disagree with the advice)
[20:09:48] <~The_DM> Military, tactics….this is a game of ‘I have a skill that is close, I’ll ask the DM’
[20:09:53] <Eowyn> I fail then, with a percep of 33
[20:10:10] <Eel> (( failed too
[20:10:14] <~The_DM> Don’t you have some military skill?
[20:10:23] <Eowyn> Combat?
[20:10:52] <~The_DM> I’ll give you it- the alchoves are probably gardposts
[20:10:55] <~The_DM> the nearest set are empty
[20:11:13] <~The_DM> empty and barren of any markings.
[20:11:53] Eowyn pulls out her flashlight and tucks the notepad in a pocket.
[20:12:30] <Eowyn> Eel, go ahead and stow your light so you can do more with your gun.
[20:12:45] Eel complies
[20:13:10] <Eel> “Where to, stalwart mapper?” *smiling
[20:13:30] <Eowyn> So… do we want to have a commanding officer? Seems a bit unnecessary with such a small team
[20:14:01] <Eowyn> “Only one way to go, forward to the next door. Being wary of the other niches.”
[20:14:18] <Eel> “Too much I think… let just do the Buddy System, ok?”
[20:14:20] <~The_DM> Preception rolls
[20:14:56] <~The_DM> Please and thank you
[20:15:20] <Eel> d100
[20:15:20] Golem rolls the dice for Eel (d100) and rolled 57.
[20:16:31] <Eowyn> D100
[20:16:31] Golem rolls the dice for Eowyn (D100) and rolled 4.
[20:16:37] <Eowyn> Ding ding ding
[20:16:38] <Eel> (( yay! I made it
[20:16:59] <Eel> (( wow!
[20:17:02] <Eowyn> Nice. I guess a sniper needs high perception
[20:17:19] Eowyn thanks the golem
[20:18:08] <Eel> (( hmmm. I forgot about getting grenades :(
[20:18:21] <Eel> (( what do we see, The_DM
[20:18:31] <~The_DM> OCC: Explosives + Treasure = happy DM
[20:19:26] <~The_DM> You notice that there is a pair of steps at the end of the hallway, with several slumped over forms on them
[20:19:47] <~The_DM> Eowyn can also tell that there is something stange about the walls in the middle alcoves as you approach them
[20:20:32] <Eowyn> “See that, Eel?”
[20:20:45] <Eel> “What? A trap?!?”
[20:20:50] <Eowyn> Do the steps go anywhere or is it just a raised area?
[20:21:00] Eowyn shrugs.
[20:21:00] <~Canageek> To a doorway at the end of the hallway
[20:21:03] <Eowyn> Could be.
[20:21:36] Eel looks around for a ‘pole’
[20:22:02] <~Canageek> There are a bunch of sticks back at the entrance
[20:22:22] <Eowyn> Rolling mechanisms.
[20:22:25] <Eowyn> D100
[20:22:26] Golem rolls the dice for Eowyn (D100) and rolled 60.
[20:22:30] <Eowyn> Nada
[20:23:13] <~The_DM> You have no idea, and can’t place the feeling
[20:23:17] <~The_DM> it just looks odd
[20:23:53] Eel gets a stick, uses it as a probe at the walls and steps and bodies “Yell if you hear ‘clicks’, Eowyn”
[20:24:01] Eowyn [~AndChat@OWIRCN-6e121c80.sub-174-252-103.myvzw.com] is now known as Ada
[20:24:05] Ada yawns
[20:24:22] <Ada> I should go soon, but would like to get to the next door first.
[20:24:26] Ada [~AndChat@OWIRCN-6e121c80.sub-174-252-103.myvzw.com] is now known as Eowyn
[20:24:27] <Eel> d100
[20:24:27] Golem rolls the dice for Eel (d100) and rolled 44.
[20:24:31] <Eowyn> Perception
[20:24:37] <Eowyn> D100
[20:24:38] Golem rolls the dice for Eowyn (D100) and rolled 43.
[20:24:46] <Eowyn> Nothing
[20:24:47] <Eel> (( nice rolls
[20:25:07] <~Canageek> Alrighty, what are you doing? Going on to the 3rd alcove? You really can’t tel lmuch more about this one
[20:25:31] <Eowyn> He said he was poking the bodies, which are all the way to the door
[20:26:06] <~Canageek> Oh, ok, you stop when you hit the 3rd alco[20:16:31] <Eowyn> D100
[20:16:31] Golem rolls the dice for Eowyn (D100) and rolled 4.
[20:16:37] <Eowyn> Ding ding ding
[20:16:38] <Eel> (( yay! I made it
[20:16:59] <Eel> (( wow!
[20:17:02] <Eowyn> Nice. I guess a sniper needs high perception
[20:17:19] Eowyn thanks the golem
[20:18:08] <Eel> (( hmmm. I forgot about getting grenades :(
[20:18:21] <Eel> (( what do we see, The_DM
[20:18:31] <~The_DM> OCC: Explosives + Treasure = happy DM
[20:19:26] <~The_DM> You notice that there is a pair of steps at the end of the hallway, with several slumped over forms on them
[20:19:47] <~The_DM> Eowyn can also tell that there is something stange about the walls in the middle alcoves as you approach them
[20:20:32] <Eowyn> “See that, Eel?”
[20:20:45] <Eel> “What? A trap?!?”
[20:20:50] <Eowyn> Do the steps go anywhere or is it just a raised area?
[20:21:00] Eowyn shrug[20:30:42] Eel signals Eowyn to jump back if things go south
[20:32:00] <Eowyn> A knowledge roll… (Culture, other?) On Zelligar and Rogahn
[20:32:04] <Eowyn> D100
[20:32:04] Golem rolls the dice for Eowyn (D100) and rolled 83.
[20:32:10] <Eel> d100
[20:32:10] Golem rolls the dice for Eel (d100) and rolled 18.
[20:32:26] <~Canageek> Not a chance, Eel: They are not major international figures, though they could be local
[20:32:27] <Eel> 18 out of 48
[20:32:28] <Eowyn> A cartoony ? appears over Eowyn’s head
[20:32:35] <~Canageek> You’d need to have rolled a 01 to get that
[20:32:55] <Eel> :)
[20:34:06] <~The_DM> So, what are you doing?
[20:34:53] <~The_DM> OOC: Turns out you don’t need a bot to roll dice
[20:34:56] <~The_DM> !1d100
[20:35:03] <Eowyn> Stopping for the night, possibly after we open the next door. I’m not going to map more today though
[20:35:08] <~The_DM> !roll 1d100
[20:35:09] <@ChanServ> 34 == 34
[...much dice rolling here removed]
[20:35:43] Eowyn grins.
[20:35:44] Eel searches the bodies
[...]
[20:35:55] Eowyn does too.
[20:36:04] <Eowyn> D100
[20:36:04] Golem rolls the dice for Eowyn (D100) and rolled 78.
[20:36:14] <Eowyn> Nothing on perception
[20:37:14] <~The_DM> Past the third pair of alcoves and at the end of the corridor from the entrance are two steps up. At this intersection is a grisly sight—the remains of a hand-to-hand battle where no less than five combatants died.
[20:38:37] Argosy [~Argosy@OWIRCN-4c552661.az.npgco.com] has joined #Rune-X
[20:38:48] <Eel> hi Argosy
[20:38:57] <Eel> sadly, we just ended the game :(
[20:39:06] <Argosy> Aw.
[20:39:09] Eel [~fudgebob@27B34E.4FEA8A.0EDFA7.500996] is now known as fudgebob
[20:39:36] <~The_DM> Three of them were adventurers themselves, explorers from the outer world. This ill-fated trio obviously had their first and last battle at this spot. Their opponents,also slain here, are two guards. The bodies arrayedhere, each in various states of decomposition, are as follows(the stench of decaying bodies is strong and repulsive, andthe sight doubly so):
[20:40:13] <~The_DM> You are searching them, correct?
[20:40:22] <~The_DM> Eowyn: Want to do this next session?
[20:40:23] <fudgebob> yes
[20:40:25] <Eowyn> We both said so
[20:40:37] <~The_DM> Body #1—A human fighter, slumped against a wall. His broken sword, sheared off about eight inches above the pommel, tells the story of his demise. The body has beenstripped of any armor, and there are no items of value onthe remains, other than a belt pouch containing 5 gold
[20:40:37] <~The_DM> pieces (g.p.).
[20:40:37] <Eowyn> Depends how much is on them
[20:41:01] <fudgebob> *grabs the gold
[20:41:11] <~The_DM> Oh crap, not gold
[20:41:12] <Eowyn> Eel, shall we keep party treasure and divide it when we come out?
[20:41:13] <~The_DM> One second
[20:41:14] <~The_DM> >.>
[20:41:46] <Eowyn> Pause now as the DM converts the currency to the new rules
[20:42:17] <~The_DM> Local silver peices, each about half the size of a dime
[20:42:33] <Eowyn> How big are our regular silvers?
[20:42:51] <fudgebob> *Eel “I’ll hold it for us, divvy it up later, ok?”
[20:42:57] <~The_DM> (The same as sp from your inventory: I got a replica silver coin from a shipwrek from my parents, was amazed how tiny they are)
[20:43:11] <Eowyn> Cool
[20:43:40] Eowyn nods at Eel.
[20:43:55] <~The_DM> Body #2—A human magic-user, impaled against a wall. The killing sword, still thrust through the body, is lodged in the wall, which has a large section of wood at this point.
[20:45:02] <Eowyn> (( detect magic on the sword. Oops, I can’t! *grin*
[20:45:10] <~The_DM> The body is bereft of any items of great value. The magic-user’s robe, now bloodstained and ruined, has a pocket and within it is a purse containing 2 s.p. and apouch full of garlic buds.
[20:45:34] <Eowyn> “I’ll take the garlic. Unless you want half?”
[20:45:52] <fudgebob> *Eel “I could use that sword. Or do you want it, Eowyn?” *pulling the weapon out
[20:45:58] <fudgebob> … cleaning the blood with the magic-user’s robes
[20:46:08] <Eowyn> “I’m good with my bayonet for now.”
[20:46:39] <~The_DM> When the sword is removed, the body crumples to the floor, exposing a blood-stained carving. The carved letters form the word “QUASQUETON” in the “common” language.
[20:46:53] Eowyn removes a pouch containing assorted spices from her pack and stows the garlic.”
[20:47:02] <fudgebob> “Thanks. You keep the garlic, I’ll keep the silver… less complicated inventory-wise”
[20:47:18] <~The_DM> The sword, upon being removed, proves practically worthless, since its handle is very loose and the overall quality of the weapon is very poor.
[20:47:20] Eowyn notes the word on her pad.
[20:47:50] <~The_DM> If someone’s cient keeps good logs can you emai them to me? KVIRC does, but they are ugy
[20:48:29] <Eowyn> I don’t know of logs with this app
[20:48:55] <fudgebob> (( oops. I gotta go now… got surpirse visitors
[20:49:05] <~The_DM> Alrighty, we can pick up here next time
[20:49:09] <~The_DM> I’ll email you all
[20:49:33] <Eowyn> Good game guys
[20:49:43] The_DM agress
[20:49:48] <~The_DM> Looking forward to trying combat

The URI to TrackBack this entry is: http://canageek.wordpress.com/2011/06/05/session-1-of-rune-x/trackback/

RSS feed for comments on this post.

2 CommentsLeave a comment

  1. Interesting. Not the easiest format to read, but interesting for how the player’s are trying to get the feel of the setting, and for the nuances of running a game via chat.

  2. What I’ve done in one other case was run some regex on the log, added some markup, and made it into a LaTeX PDF. It makes it much more readable, but you have to download a PDF. If anyone is interested I’ll make one up for this.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 957 other followers

%d bloggers like this: